Educational Performance Enhancement
Many students and musicians struggle to overcome performance anxiety. For any individual, performing at the highest level can be a challenge under the pressure of exams, recitals and daily life.The brightest and most gifted students can put tremendous pressure on themselves in striving for perfection.
While teachers work to a world class standards, performance anxiety can be a constraint not only on individuals’ quality standards and progress, but also the achievements and reputation of the University as a whole.
When universities are increasingly under pressure to perform and meet targets, both students and teachers face higher levels of stress. Alternative approaches are called for.
We believe we have a compelling case for a solution that will increase success for all at your University.
Research has revealed that hypnotherapy is effective in optimising performance and alleviating anxiety in students.Learning focus, relaxation and resilience are valuable life skills that drive students’ success.
Our educational performance improvement programme uses a simple approach to manage stress and develop the student’s ability to control their mental focus for success.
This is not a short-term fix, but skills for life. We turn stress into success.
Students may be fearful of not achieving the standards they or the College expects. Fear of failure, fear of success, fear of being unable to remember what they have learned to apply it on the day of their performance or examination – all have a toll on the metal state required to successfully perform and achieve.
For some it isn’t just anxiety or ‘nerves’ at the time of the exam or event, but for weeks or months ahead. They may be confident and capable musicians,but worry that their ‘nerves’ will let them down when it counts.
Some people struggle with attention and focus because of tension or lack of self-belief. Although adrenalin is natural before exams or performances, for some students the effects are crippling and can be devastating.
The Solution: the Performance Improvement Programme:
Students can easily learn to overcome their anxiety, grow in confidence, and feel comfortable in any performance situation, through our Performance Improvement Programme.
In turn, RCM’s achievement and reputation as a centre of excellence are exponentially improved.
- Simple concentration techniques to take control of one’s emotional state, remaining focused and confident under pressure or challenge.
- Easy coping strategies to reduce anxiety and perform at optimal levels.
- Targeted work with 15 individuals identified by RCM
- 1 two-hour session and 2 one-hour sessions of group hypnosis (one session per week).
- Group feedback on results, benefits and areas for support.
- Audio (MP3) for each student to reinforce the tools learnt and support students with everyday stresses as they occur.
- Option of individual sessions available for personalization or research purposes.
- Piloted successfully in educational facilities under the name: Educational Performance Programme, running for more than three years. Proven track record. Please see a sample case study below.
- Better academic achievement and grades
- Better musical achievement and performances
- Greater emotional wellbeing: students calmer, more resilient and able to cope
- Higher achievement for RCM.
Success can be evaluated with questionnaires taken after recitals or exams, pre and post training.
The Research Evidence
Sapp (1990) studied the role Hypnosis plays on treating test-anxiety in college students. The participants in the study were randomly divided into two groups. One group served as the control group and received no form of treatment. The other group received cognitive-behavioral Hypnosis. The researcher evaluated the effects of hypnosis in improving academic performance and decreasing test anxiety.
Both groups were enrolled in a demanding psychology course. All students were evaluated based on their midterm grade and anxiety levels. The hypnosis group reported a significant reduction in test anxiety and improvement in academic achievement. Both groups were evaluated 6 weeks after the end of the course and the hypnosis group was found to have maintained their hypnosis treatment gains in achievement and reduction in anxiety. Cognitive behavioral hypnosis is a highly effective form of treatment that helps students improve performance and reduce anxiety.
– Sapp, M. (1990). Hypnotherapy and test anxiety: Two cognitive-behavioral constructs. The effects of hypnosis in reducing test anxiety and improving academic achievement in college
students. Report. ERIC ID: ED328163.
According to a recentNational Union of Students poll, 20% suffered from mental health difficulties.
Teenagers who are stressed about doing well in their GCSE exams are likely to get lower results than peers who remain calmer.
– Edge Hill University, the University of South Australia and AQA examinations board, September 2013
Across two studies of children completing graded music examinations, self-efficacy emerged as the most reliable predictor of performance in the examinations
– McCormick & McPherson, 2003; McPherson & McCormick, 2006.
Case Study- Educational Performance Programme:Malet Lambert School Case Study, United Kingdom
This award-winning school has been using the Educational Performance Programme designed to help students and their teachers prepare for exams by using relaxation and concentration methods.
They have employed this programme for two years, resulting in the school’s best-ever GCSE results: 99% of students gained five A* to C grades.
Stephen Logan, Business Champion at Malet Lambert School said: “For many students, it isn’t just the anxiety or nerves at the time of the exam, but very often they worry for weeks and months ahead. This programme provide students with simple coping strategies that they can utilise to reduce their anxiety levels and perform at their very best. All of this can lead to much better academic performance and far greater emotional wellbeing for the student.”
As used at SOAS (University of London)
Hard as it is to put a price on the transformation of lives and increased achievement for individual students, talented musicians, and the College, we believe we have a viable model that is both cost-effective, successful and compelling.
- A bespoke solution– developed with you to meet your needs.
- 1 two-hour session,2 one-hour sessions of group hypnosis sessions.
- Group discussion and feedback on results, benefits and areas for support.
- Audio mp3 for each student to reinforce the tools learnt and support students with everyday stresses as they occur.
The expertise and skills of a qualified, experienced hypnotherapist with a track record of success.
So, if having healthy, happy students is important to you… if you like the idea of
students being more calm, relaxed and clear headed… and would to see them performing at the best of their abilities — then you can secure your place on the educational enhancement programme by either:
calling me now on 07985454221
Clicking below to enquire
I hope to have the chance to meet you and work with you soon. Warmly,
Dip Hyp, GQHP, GHR Reg NLP Master Practitioner
All client data is strictly confidential.